+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Question

Default Gear Question

I'm as brand new to fly fishing as a guy can get.. don't even have a rod and rell yet. I went with some friends over the weekend and used their gear throughout the day and enjoyed it unlike any other fishing I've ever done. I'm planning on picking myself up a rod, rell and other basics over the coming weekend and have a general idea of what I may need, but was wondering if I was going in the right direction.

I live in central Pennsylvania and fish mostly trout streams but enjoy fishing on the Susquehanna for bass from time to time. Also, I make two trips yearly to fish for steelhead in Erie county. This year, I'd like to fly fish up there.

I'm looking at picking up an 8.5 foot, 6 weight two-piece rod. Would you suggest anything different for a beginner? Please keep in mind I'm on a limited budget and just want to get into the sport for now. If I enjoy it enough, I'll most likely get gear to fit my different fishing situations, but for now I want something I can pretty much use anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help, insights and suggestions!!

Matt

First let me welcome you to FAOL. Don't be afraid to post questions here. There have been several new members from your State. Kinda makes me want to make a trip your way check it out. JC and LF run a tight ship here which makes this site something you can allow your entire family to view without worrying about them seeing/reading something that would be offensive. Just remember to wipe your feet before entering and new members must provide the donuts and make the coffee.

I think your choice of a 6 weight would be just find for now. I fished with a Rainshadow 2 piece 6 weight for the first couple years before purchasing different weights to meet different situations. A 6 weight will work fine. Just my opinion.

I just noticed, from your profile, that you make pipes. I am a pipe smoker and enjoy it. What type of pipes do you make? It sounds like an interesting hobby.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Welcome to the site. Always nice to see some new faces.

I like the choice of a 6 wt. A little heavy for most trout, a little light for steelhead and just about perfect for bass. Looks like it will cover all you do. I would not get a rod that is too fast. There are lots of good starter setups in the 100~200 range and if you go up another 100 you can find something that might last you even longer. I think once you get used to fishing with the long rod you will find that there are certain things you want and will ahe a better idea where to spend your money so starting out with a less expensive set up makes sense.

When it comes to spending money I think a good line is as important as a good rod. The reel is much less important and if you spend money the reel is not the place to spend it. It never hurts to look at the sponsors page on this site to find out what equipment companies sponsor us. It is a by invitation only sponsorship so someone has to have evaluated them and liked their equipment.

I think another thing to consider is buying locally. If you go into a local shop and start spending some money there they will in all likelyhood (if they are good) give you pointers and instruction, tips on where, what and when to fish. All this helps when starting out with the long rod.

Enjoy and come back with more questions as you get them.

jed

Thanks both of you for the warm welcome and the information. I feel better about the choices I was planning on making. I'll keep the action in mind when I go out this weekend to do some shopping.

Warren.. I make briar pipes with vulcanite stems, either hand cut(I'm learning how to do this) or pre-formed. I was doing this for a while and then had to stop for lack of working space until the past fall. I don't do much pipe making in the summer as I tend to have a problem sitting still when the sun's out, but as we near fall and winter, I'll begin revving up the shop to keep busy through the dark months.

Thanks again for the info!!!! Much, much appreciated!!

Default Simple pleasures are free

Welcome to the camp of FAOL !

In 2002, my children bought me a fly fishing combo from Walmart and it included a video tape tutorial. Who would have thought fishing Bluegills would become such a passion as the years unfolded. Since then, I have purchased pieces of equipment that could be afforded on a single parent budget. Truth be told, it is a matter of watching those year end close-out sales at our local shops, asking friends to sell me their old equipment, and honestly making a gift list for your birthday. In the area of Central PA, we are blessed with numerous streams, shops, and Trout Unlimited chapters; hence, you will not have a problem of gearing up and making daily adventures.

My only suggestion is to be humble, ask questions, and learn that PA fish do not know the difference between Orvis and Scientific Angler. Meanwhile, stop in a shop near you and ask for this months issue of ?Fly Fishing Guide? (that should be free), then subscribe to it. Grant it, FAOL has a wealth of information, but the guide is an accurate source of local hatch, stream reports, and free presentations/demonstrations.

All in all, Welcome to adventure of fly fishing in Central PA. Should you find yourself traveling Route 15 north of I-80, along the West branch Susquehanna river, give a wave to the guy fishing from a home built raft.

Be safe and take care!

Thanks, rtzden, for the local information. I'll look for the Fly Fishing Guide this weekend and make sure I get a copy of it.

Matt,
    Welcome aboard! You will make many fine friends on this website. I just returned from co-hosting the Michigan Fish-In where I finally put faces with names for many fine members. Warren P & I have become good friends, & have fished together down in Tennessee. You will meet many in PA, as we have MANY members from your fine State.
    Enough for my preamble ramble.....a 6 wt should be a great startup. I landed my 1st ever steelhead (7 lbs) last fall on a 6 wt. You're addicted already, aren't ya?
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Go to Wallmart, get 9ft, 2pc, 5/6 Scientific Anglers combo. Rod, reel, line, backing, leader. $59.95 You will love it.

Hey there Hazmat,
    JC is giving you good advice. When he was demonstrating his casting prowess(es) at the MI Fish-In I thought he was using one of his expensive fishing sticks. Well to my surprise, it was the SA rod he notes in his post /reply to you. I tried it and instantly began to cast 200+ feet ( amazing, I know). The guarantee on this rod is great too. You take three twenty dollar bills and keep in your wallet. If you should break your rod no matter the circumstance, take the three bills to your nearest Walmart for INSTANT rod replacement. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Remember, DO NOT LOSE the bills. Walmart is strict about having them as proof of purchase and you must surrender them when the exchange is made.

Mark

In central PA, here's all you need to know:

www.coldspringanglers.com

+ Reply to Thread