Welcome to the site. Always nice to see some new faces.

I like the choice of a 6 wt. A little heavy for most trout, a little light for steelhead and just about perfect for bass. Looks like it will cover all you do. I would not get a rod that is too fast. There are lots of good starter setups in the 100~200 range and if you go up another 100 you can find something that might last you even longer. I think once you get used to fishing with the long rod you will find that there are certain things you want and will ahe a better idea where to spend your money so starting out with a less expensive set up makes sense.

When it comes to spending money I think a good line is as important as a good rod. The reel is much less important and if you spend money the reel is not the place to spend it. It never hurts to look at the sponsors page on this site to find out what equipment companies sponsor us. It is a by invitation only sponsorship so someone has to have evaluated them and liked their equipment.

I think another thing to consider is buying locally. If you go into a local shop and start spending some money there they will in all likelyhood (if they are good) give you pointers and instruction, tips on where, what and when to fish. All this helps when starting out with the long rod.

Enjoy and come back with more questions as you get them.

jed