+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latex Caddis Pattern

Default Latex Caddis Pattern

Has anyone used these flies and if so, how'd you do?

Typically the books show them tied on an English worm hook(Mustad 31740?). The latex body is wrapped forward with slight overlap for segmentation, tied down, and some peacock or ostrich is wrapped for the head. An underbody can give the fly some tint of color or you can use magic markers. Just wondering if this style of caddis has worked for anyone, in what shades of colors and in what sizes?

Allan

Allan,
    I have tied and used them in bright green, olive, and tan, usually in sizes 14-18 on a scud/emerger hook. I haven't had as much success with them as I have with caddis tied with something fuzzier. I guess La Fontaine was right when he said they look great out of the water, but in the water they just looked like plastic.
    Joe

Allan, I have used the latex caddis pattern and I have found the same as Joe. I have better success with dubbed bodies. I use the deep sparkle pupa most of the time.

Default Latex Caddis

We have used a caddis pupa pattern tied with a gold bead, red throat(thread) and body made out a rubber Dr. type glove. Caught lots of fish on our tailwaters here in Arkansas on that fly.

Allan:

Those flies were big over 20 years ago and I had good luck with them but the bodies wouldn't hold up or didn't many moons ago. The natural latex which is what I used, would fall apart after awhile. Maybe today's latex is better.

But, today I use regular dubbing at times ribbed with Vinyl Rib other times ribbed with wire or thread with better more durable results.

Hi,
    I've never fished with them, though I've seen them in pattern books. I've also seen a variation called a "silk worm", where one first palmers the hook with ostrich hurl. Then, wrap the latex forward, allowing a bit of hurl to stick out between the wraps. I would think fairly long fibered hurl is required as the latex is probably still over lapped, and the idea is just to get some hairy bits sticking out for motion, etc.

As I say, I've never tried either so I can't comment on the relative benefits of one over the other.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Like was mentioned previous, we used them about twenty years ago. They seemed to work okay for whitefish in the winter. I remember they went bad after a year especially if they were left in a hot car or truck.

I have used latex for many patterns over the years and have found the secret is the grade of latex used. I use a medical grade latex and apply a thin coat of either Softbody or Soft-tex after the color is applied. For the extra air bubble "sparkle" I rib them with a strip of prepared organza ribbon. Then trim the organza to get the effect I am after.
    They have served me well over the years.

Latex and Prepared Organza Rib

Color and Light Coating

Finished Pattern

Very very nice....

What did you secure the organza under to represent the wing case ?...and what is the antenna material?

That fly is unique enough ...at least to me...it is FOTW material

Thanks ducksterman ... The wing case is a thin strip of latex left over from the body strip folded to produce the head, and thorax segments. The antennae are porcupine guard hairs. The organza gives it a nice sparkle in the water.

+ Reply to Thread