+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: elkhorn graphite flyrods

Default elkhorn graphite flyrods

Has anyone had any experience with these people's graphite flyrods? I've seen a # of posts on their 'boo rods that seem to be on the good side. Their website does not identify the graphite they use on their rods - only the note that they use more "stuff" than other mfgrs suggesting the rods might be on the heavy side. Their 8' 1wt is the one I'm interested in. Any info appreciated.

donald

Don't have a 1 wt, but I do have a 4,6,8 and 10 wt. I like them all. Nice action, in general they are not the fastest rod on the stream but I think medium fast. They all load well and can deliver a fly without major problems.
    If you have any questions email them directly. I have found them to be very responsive and forthcoming.

jed

thanks.

donald

I just bought a 4 wt. 8.5' Traveller and I think it's a great rod. Their reels are pretty impressive too. If you order rod and reel over the phone there are discounts not mentioned on the web site.

I have a 7 foot 1-weight in their Western series. I have cast the Orvis and Sage 1-weights, and I liked the Elkhorn the best. It is a medium fast action rod that's a blast on bluegills and small bass. I also thought it was a perfect rod for trout on the Cimmaron in New Mexico. As long as you fish in an area with little or no wind, you will enjoy the rod.

ps: I don't find an 8 foot 1-weight on their list.

John

you're right about the length jc. I musta had a brain **** when I looked at it!! I appeciate the responce. I fish two lakes with extensive "builder' channels" that has BG up to 7-8" fish [a FEW 9"] shere you only need a 20-25' cast. With the trees and cottages wind is usually somewhat erratic but also fairly mild. I haven't bought any new gear this year and the wife is starting to worry!!

donald

Elkhorn Fly Rods, have been a Sponsor of FAOL, for many years now! To be a Sponsor on FAOL, is not something that is to be taken lightly, it is a great honor to be considered a company, with quality product, service, at a reasonable price.

Before Elkhorn Fly Rods became a Sponsor on FAOL, their company was reviewed for FAOL, by NWFly after he attended the 1997 IFTD Show. Here is what NWFly had to say about them...

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/nwprod.html:9a558]IFTD Show Review, Click Here![/url:9a558]

Randy Fratzke (FritzFratz) did a Review of the Elkhorn, eX3
    9' 4/5 wt. 3 piece Model EX 9045, in Feb 1998, for FAOL.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/2398prod.html:9a558]Elkhorn eX3 Review, Click Here![/url:9a558]

Andy Carr (Buttermilk), did a review for FAOL on the Elkhorn Classic Reel for FAOL, after being the May 2006 winner of the monthly drawing, which the prize was the Elkhorn Classic Reel.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/elkhornclassicreel.html:9a558]Elkhorn Classic Reel Review, Click Here![/url:9a558]

These three reviews were done by members of FAOL, people like you and I, honest hard working anglers, who know quality yet are not about to waste money paying too much.

You cannot go wrong, with any product or service, that is offered by any of the FAOL Sponsors.

[url=http://flyanglersonline.com/about/elkhorn/:9a558]Elkhorn Fly Rods Sponsor Page, Click Here! [/url:9a558]

My first rod was a Elkhorn 9' 5WT. I love that rod, although it doesn't get fished as often anymore. It is a very nice casting rod! I've let other very experienced FF cast it, and they were all impressed. The fit & finish is not the absolute best, but nice nonetheless. I don't notice that it is particularly heavy compared to my Sage & Redington rods. I would definitely give a good recommendation for the Elkhorn products. Thanks for reminding me to get mine out & fish with it!!!!!!

tks everyone for the responces [even the commerical!! [<G>] Might be better what with the down time I have with breaking in this pacemaker to just build one; especially since they're all gonna be 7'.

donald

I know beachleach was grinning with his sly comment about my "so called" commercials. I just want to emphasis a point that makes FAOL very unique among Internet sites, "There are NO COMMERCIALS, on FAOL!

FAOL has Sponsors, and Friends of FAOL, that help pay the cost of keeping this site up and running. Nobody gets paid for their articles or effort. It is a site where honest exchange of fly angling information is shared.

I have been coming to this site since October of 1997, FAOL started in September, 1997. You the readers are also the writers, and should be applauded for this wealth of knowledge, that has accumulated on this one Internet site.

+ Reply to Thread