I didn't want to put this in 'Sound-Off', just yet. I want to make sure I'm not misreading the article or mistaken before writing something I'll later regret. So, I'm asking for your opinion(s) of the article and perhaps your knowledge of fly pattern history. Now maybe this is an 'eastern' thing so here's the story and I'll look forward to reading your opinions:

Reference the 'Fly Fishing Guide', August issue, "Fly Of The Month"(p. 5), by Jerry Stercho.

"As I released it, an angler walking by stopped to watch and asked, "What fly?" I showed him Kissel's Black Bug and he said, "Oh, a Shamokin Special.
The Shamokin Special has a body of peacock herl. Both featured no tail and palmered grizzly hackle.
Recipe: Hook - dry fly, size 12-16; Thread - 6/0 black; Body - Peacock herl, tied fat; Hackle - Grizzly, palmered."

Now, about 25 years ago I lived, worked and fished in the same area of PA as the author of this article. I've known about this same fly and have been using it for at least that long. As far as I can tell, it has always been known as the 'Griffith's Gnat'. It was the favorite pattern of the owner of the Angler's Warehouse(a fly shop in Williamsport, PA that closed years ago) Since this pattern is well known and not specific to that area, the information about the pattern contained in this article surprised me.

In 'Fish Flies', Terry Hellekson lists the Griffith's Gnat with the same recipe. He writes that, "George Griffith originated this pattern for Michigan's AuSable River. It was developed to simulate hatching midge clusters ... "(pg. 359)

So, I wonder how a renown fly pattern gets published, by an experienced writer, under the guise of another pattern name? Oh, and this magazine did almost the same exact thing about 10 years ago. At that time the article was written by another author who credited himself for developing a brand new pattern. However, that pattern was also renown and highly published.

I was going to email the publisher but there's no email address listed in the magazine. I'm just not sure if I should write a letter to the editor. Maybe my knowledge about this pattern is wrong? What do you think?

Allan