+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOT Kayak for a big person

Default SOT Kayak for a big person

Dear Board,

I am interested in a SOT kayak. I am a big fellow at 6' 5" and 325 pounds and I don't see a whole lot of product for that size range.

I'd appreciate it if any of you larger than average sized fellows could give me some advice or reviews of the boats that you like and why you like them. I'd even consider a solo canoe if somebody has experience with one of those.

I realize that there probably aren't many people with my exact dimensions floating around on a kayak. I'd appreciate anything a tall person could say about their choice of kayak. If you are 6' 4" or 6' 6' and kayak please chime in even if you are skinny. I figure I can always lose weight!

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Don't know about SOT but the Pungo 12' holds my friend comfortably who is 6' 8" and 250 lbs.

jed

The Malibu X-Factor is a sit on top that has a weight capacity of 600 lbs, and is said to have great stability. It is reported to paddle well for a kayak of it's size. The dimensions are 14' by 33".

Surely someone with a 6'5" frame would have fewer problems paddling a kayak that is 33" wide than the smaller guys around.

Also, with the 600 lb capacity, there might be less of a tendency to sink too deep in the water, causing drag and tougher paddling.

An internet search on the X-Factor would probably produce some good information, iincluding reviews. I'm sure there are other options also.

Best!

Default Some Ideas

Take a look at Wilderness Systems Tarpon Series, Pungo Series. Cobra's Fish-n-Dive, or Ocean Kayak's The Ride. Also the Prowler and the Drifter (can't remember manufacturers). Good luck with the searching!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Here's one that will handle 350 lbs. and is affordable.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Pro...&SKU=BSO_OKSXL

Free shipping and no sales tax!
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Default Maximum Capacity

I'd be careful about maximum capacity, if I were you. Most of these kayaks mentioned won't perform well when they're loaded to the maximum capacity. When loaded that heavily they usually ride quite low in the water, increasing the effort needed to paddle them and increasing the wetness of the ride. At your size, I'd look at SOT's with a max capacity of at least 400 pounds.

And although you've probably head it already... try before you buy. Do a demo paddle if at all possible.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Howdy. You can easily find the right kayak if you do a little research. Right off the bat, The Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL comes to mind. A patented feature of that kayak is that the seating can be configured for one or two paddlers. And beacuse it is a two place hull, there is a lot of room and it is stable. As I recall, the M2's solo paddling position is in the center of the boat. The leg and foot position accommodates this nicely. Thier Prowler anf the Big Game model serve saltwater anglers well too.

Of course which ever kayak you choose, having an ergo seat will make or break your experience. I use a "Surf to Summit" brand fishing seat which has Lumbar support and rod holders too.

Here is a link to a Sit On Top Kayak Buyer's Guide that should keep you busy for a while.

[url=http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/sitontops.html:ca26b]SOT Buyer's Guide[/url:ca26b]

Lastly- I suggest ordering and waiting for the right kayak. Do not fall for a sale on a different model, or settle for one in the shop you go to on impulse. These boats can be shipped anywhere. Test driving is ideal. Otherwise-go by the specs and referals by fellow anglers and have one shipped to your door!.

Avelon, please e-mail me and I can put you in contact with a 6'8" fellow who is at least that big who retails kayaks and will willingly share his opinions without trying to sell you anything. Used do be PR guy for Winonnah Canoes in a previous job and now is a tourism coordinator. He sells stuff on the side. e-mail is jsjawhite@yahoo.com

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the information.

Flymaker that link is very good and it will help me a great deal with my research before I buy.

White43, check your e-mail. I'd be very interested in hearing what your friend has to say.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

nighthawk Guest

Avalon,
    Don't know where you are located in Pa. but take a look at these folks in Marysville.

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/

Lots of new and used kayaks. potoons and canoes. They don't sell junk and are very friendly.

+ Reply to Thread