Bob Miller wrote the book Tricos in wich he mentions the use of transparent nylon thread or "invisible thread". He says you can find it at most fabric stores and it is the equivilant of 7x and 135 yards will run less than $2.
I believe fluorocarbon makes a difference but I generally save it for when I've tried everything else and remain fishless. Before I do that I will usually try a very long tippet of 4ft. or more as I believe this reduces drag wich is a bigger factor than the visibility of the line. I also like to use softer tippets like Dai Riki Velvet wich also helps with drag. Maxima is a stiffer mono as is fluorocarbon so is it visiblity or drag? I don't know but when I'm not catching fish I like to have an option.
Tailing loop, I don't think comparing your success to that of others using a different tippet than you is a good way to judge the effectiveness of the tippet material or diameter. Maybe your just a better fisherman than those guys are. You would have to use both tippets yourself to see what difference it makes for you. Maybe you would have caught 30 trout.
Turk