+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying warm in winter

Default Staying warm in winter

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has some tips on staying warm in the winter...mostly jsut for steelheading.

If I was to buy breathable thermal underwear and waterproof breathable socks...would breathable waders be necesarry ? or could I get by just as well with rubber waders.

the only breathable bootfoots I hvae access to in Canada are Wardells and they cost over 600 dollars.

Also, I am curious as to whether or not anyone thinks a 9 ft or 9and ft 9 inch fast rod would be good for steelies

Also again, has anyone any experience with seal skinze socks ?

thanks alot
    Ian

Default winter

Synthetic fleece wading pants over the long johns. They add warmth and wick the water from the body. Mine are from Cabellas.
    AgMD

Hi ontariosteelheader,

I don't do any winter fishing, but I do alot of fall and spring fishing. I fish the Margaree River in Nova Scotia in late October and I'm usually in the water from daylight till dark and I fish the waters on PEI in the spring. I use stocking foot neoprene waders and wear fleece long johns and wool socks and find this to work well. I bought the waders on E-Bay for about $60.00. If I remember correctly, I think they are Hodgmans 4mm thick. This is the 3rd year for them and they are still working fine with no leaks.

Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

I am interested in those seal skin socks also. I do a lot of late season duck hunting while breaking ice. I was looking for other opinions before I invest in them....... I do use polypropolen socks which wick away moisture.

Although I don't spend all day on the river, I found that my current outfit serves me well for late fall steelheading while spending most mornings in the river. It consists of Goretex stockingfoot waders over fleece pants over thermal dry-plus long underwear w/ goretex socks over silk socks inside good quality gudewear lug sole wading boots. Upper is a goretex hooded wading jacket over same underthings with the addition of a light sweater and wool fishing gloves. I used to wear rubber, but found it too awkward, uncomfortable and cold, so after years of suffering I decided to spend the $ to get better gear and I am glad I did. I found that I can enjoy wading for longer periods while being quite comfortable during late season no matter what the weather brings. Kind of nice to be wading in the river during early season snow The outfit was purchased thru Cabelas, for prior to joining FAOL I could not find what I wanted here in Ontario.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

I have a pair of neoprene socks that I wear. They give extra warmth to the area of the body that most often gets cold. My toes.

jed

I will second the silk socks under wool socks. You can find silk socks at most any Ski Shop. NeoPrene waders. You won't find me up to my chest in icy cold water in mid winter, just out far enough to lay a fly in front of a Steelhead. I mostly fish tail-outs so the water is not too deep. Caution is my friend in the winter. I have a pair of neoprene gloves I bought in Oregon about 8 years ago, designed for steelhead fishing. Thats probably the best part of my winter outfit. I have been fortunate to fish besides Jim Teeny on the banks of the Sandy River in Oregon. Snow coming down, ice on the edge of the water. When you are having a good time and hook up now and then, the cold doesn't seem to be so bad. It's that trip to the truck to shed the wet gear that makes the cold weather more evident. Then of course there is the heater in the cab and the thermos of coffee. Now you got me looking forward to winter and summer isn't even over! Good Luck! Jonezee

many moons ago...when I fished steel on the south Georgian Bay tribs....bought a pair of booted neo's...and added down filled booties....kept me warm on those rivers up 'till closing on Dec 31...now in BC and fish stillwaters from a pram or toon depending on company or not...still use the neo's and booties in early spring and late fall when toonin'....also...git a pair of Helly Hanson "blue" johns...think I got mine at WorkWarehouse...check 'em out...))

mojo too crippled to wade the rivers now...

IMHO stocking foot waders are no good for extreme cold weather. When I used them my feet were always cold. Bootfoot neoprene 5mm are great for keeping you warm. Buy them a boot size larger. Fleece Fleece Fleece. wear in several loose layers but not so loose your swimming in them. I do like a silk base layer though. Finish off with a wind/waterproof jacket and hat and you'll be warm all day.
    I think a 9wt. is a little heavy for most of my steelhead fishing but it depends on the water you fish and how big the fish are. The bigger the water and fish the bigger rod you will need. For all around use I prefer a 7wt but if a 9 is what you have you should be fine as long as you don't use very fine tippets.
    Turk

10. Default

For winter steelheading on cold rivers like Washington' Skagit or the Hohon the Olympic Peninsula I use Hodman insulated bootfoot breathable waders. I only need a sock liner and a good wool sock. Ski underwear under 200 weight fleece keep me warm no matter what.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

+ Reply to Thread