+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Bass

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Smallmouth Bass

I gonna take the Yak out behind the tail-races at Blueridge Lake, on the Toccoa River in Blueridge, Ga. in a few days. People have told me it is a great place for smallies. I don't have much experience with smallies, and none at all on a fly-rod, so this will be a new experience for me.

I'm not sure what fly to use. Does anyone have any opinions of the best Smallmouth patterns? My initial instinct is to tie on a med-sized, weighted Olive Drab Woolly Bugger and fish it near the bottom around cover. This usually catches anything that's down there. Would this be a good way to start?

Semper Fi!

2. Default

You're on the right track with that WB deal. Streamers as well.

You'd be doing yourself a grave disservice if you didn't get a few poppers to toss at cover during first light or that magic half an hour right at sunset when the water gets like glass......

I fish smallmouth more than any other fish all year. Your olive WB should do well but I prefer black or black and olive. That's my preference I don't think the fish care much.
    Another option for this time of year is crawfish pattern, Dahlberg divers, clousers (chart/white), even a San Juan worm works on occasion.
    If those don't work try a pair of 10 GRHE's dropping off an "indicator" slow drifted.

Gig, please let us know how you did when you get back.

You'll also do well with some clousers about size 8, 10 or 12. Try colors in grey and white, black and white, red and white, and the most effective brown and orange.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Terry

Crawdad patterns rule for SM around here. My favorite is a Gitzit in olive and Whitlocks Near Nuff Crawfish in tan. Fire Tiger Clousers also work well. I tie them in size 4 or 6.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Don't forget the anchor!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Smallmouth flies

Thanks for the input. I'll try to post some pics if I figure out how. I still have a question or two.

First off, I didn't get to go today like I wanted. I evidently had dropped a #12 dry fly hook earlier in the day and it got lost on the floor. While getting my things together at around 4:00AM this morning, I somehow got the hook stuck in the end of my small toe, all the way to the bend. I tried to get it out using the fishing line method, but it was stuck. I then tried to push it through to cut off the barb, but it wouldn't budge. My wife woke up and freaked, She forced me to ride with her to the emergency room. When they X-Rayed it, they found that it was stuck in my toe-bone. They ended up cutting it out and pulling it with pliers (I could've done that, given enough time). I can't do anything for a few days except sit and tie flies. I'm gonna go to the river next week.

TerryB: Orange and brown on a Clouser? Which color goes on top?

FrankB: I'm with you. I use chain-bead eyes on my clousers as well. They're cheaper and work great.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Semper Fi!

Blog Entries

I have had good luck using beadhead streamers with a lot of flash and some movement in the tail and hackle. I cast into fast water and let them sink and go downstream and then twitch them back in small, fast strips with pauses to try to imitate a sick or injured fish. It is a style that works for me in moving water, but not in slow water.

Ed

Ouch! It's been a while since I made a fly-fishing related trip to the emergency room. Sorry you couldn't get out.

+ Reply to Thread