+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crackleback?

Default Crackleback?

I was reading the Top 5 flies thread and a fly called Crackleback was mentioned several times. I buy most of my flies from Cabelas, Orvis or Hill Discount flies and neither of the 3 list this fly. Is it known by another name or can someone tell me where to purchase some.

Purchase from www.feather-craft.com

The Crackleback is a fly designed by Bob Story, Owner of Feathercraft in St. Louis, Mo. You will find them in their catalog and they also sell the patternsheets and supplies for that fly. I know they have a website but don't know the addy off the top of my head. You might also check the flytying archives of this site as I believe the pattern may be listed here too.

Here's the pattern and tying instructions from FAOL.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 2fotw.html

Regards,
    Terry

I was just reading the tying instructions and I'm a bit confussed.

So a question for the experienced tyers out there.

Wouldn't you want to palmer the hackle with the shiny side facing back instead of forward? That would make the fly more inclined to ride on top of the water wouldn't it?

Thanks,
    Terry

If you palmer the hackle with the shiney side forward, the hackles will lean slightly backwards.

The crackleback will slip along the water, above and/or just in the film, when it's quickly stripped in. It's a real popular fly in Missouri, and works incedibly well.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

TerryB,

I will provide this little bit of info just for you to understand the hackle question and not to create confusion or get into any conflicts with other's opinions. As a rule of thumb, you tie palmered hackle with the hackle leaning back on a wet fly and you tie the hackle with the hackle leaning forward on a dry fly to help support the fly on the surface film. That is just a rule of thumb and the Crackleback is meant to be a dry fly that you pull under the surface at the end of the drift. You can tie it anyway you want and whatever way works best for you. I always tie it as a dry fly and lean the hackle forward.

Just my 1 cent worth.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Well ... ya learn something every day! I thought the crackleback was a wet fly! Now I'm going to have to tie some with the dry tying hackle!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty:

There is nothing wrong, by tying some "Cracklebacks", using soft-hackle for palmering. I would think, that would work better on the stream or even in stillwater.

Thanks to all!

I'm new at this and wanted to make sure I understood the general approach to palmering the fly correctly.

Thanks for confirming that for me!

I've heard of folks tying wooly worms with the hackle both ways depending on whether they want it on top or not. I'd think this fly could work the same way. It kind of reminds me of a skinny caterpillar anyway.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread