+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question or Reels/Using Braided Line as Backing

Default Question or Reels/Using Braided Line as Backing

With in the next year I think I am going to purchase a twelve weight and ten weight for salt water. I only want to have to purchase one reel with an extra spool and was wondering what you guys/ girls thought of using a braided line such as power pro or suffix as backing. This way I could get a lot more backing on the twelve wieght spool and can get a reel that is sort of inbetween on sizes.

Second question is what reel I should get. I am currently looking at either a Ross Big Game 6 or 7, or a Lamson LiteSpeed 4. The LiteSpeed will save me a little money as I will probably be doing Salt Water every once in a great while (1 or 2 times a year, I live in Arizona). I will probably be going after Tarpon in Floridia, or be going over to San Diego. I also plan to use the 10wt incase I ever go to Alaska after Kings. Thank you for all your help ahead of time.

-Jason

I use spectra lines on some of my reels for two reasons:

1) To get more backing on a smaller reel. For instance I wanted to have at least 200 yards of backing stronger than 20lb on my Ross BG 4 with a 9wt line. Can't get that much on their with 30lb dacron.

2) To cut down on line drag with fast and long running fish like tuna.

I happen to use Power Pro. There are many others.

I use the same reels on my 10wt and 12wt rods. Two of these reels, a Ross SW V and a G. Loomis 11-12-13 have 30lb Dacron. The other, an Abel Super 11 which is a smaller reel, has 50lb Power Pro.

Either Ross model would be fine, with either dacron or spectra. Given your stated expected usage, I'd probably go with the BG 6. If you go with 50lb spectra, you will get between 1.6 and 2 times as much backing on the reel compared to 30lb dacron, depending on type of fly line on the reel, and the specific spectra used.

The Ross Big Game has a pretty solid reputation. I don't know much about the Litespeed.

Other reels to consider would be the TFO Large Arbor and TFO Terry Hayden reels.

Thanks that was very helpful. I Couldn't help but notice you live in San Diego. I will be heading there over labor day to visit some people and was wondering if you could recommend me any sites/ info that would help me fish the area. I'm just bringing one of my 8wt's with a change-a-tip line and will be fishing from shore. I also have a type 6 shooting head I could use. Thanks for your help.

Jason

I have started using the Orvis Gel Spun backing for the same reason. Small diameter for the strength. I am able to put 225 yds of gel spun where 150 yds of dacron used to go.

jed

I use dacron. Got 200 yds on my 8wt which is more than enough backing and 300 yds on my 12wt for tarpon. Most I ever got spooled on my 8wt is 130 yds of backing. I use Ross bg and the new cla. Cant go wrong with either model. I use the tfo 425 for tarpon. No problems with that reel too. I stay away from gel spun and power pro because if a fish runs and you are not wearing stripping guards you can get cut. With a good reel and drag the recommended backing specks will work.

KevinC
    Casey Key Anglers and Outfitters
    Venice, Florida
    http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com/

You will only get a cut with spectra if you try to grab or clamp down on the backing, something you wouldn't normally do with dacron either.

I don't know anyone who has ever been cut with spectra backing while fishing, including many bluewater fly anglers. Even though I use a bare finger to guide the line back on the reel when cranking fish in, I have never had a problem moving my finger when a fish surges. I don't doubt that some anglers have cut their fingers though. I know many who cut their hands when trying to tighten knots without gloves though. A pair of sun gloves is usually suffiecient to prevent this. My fingers get cut from heavy mono too if I try to tighten them down without gloves. I do think dacron is more than sufficient for most angling situations.

Jason,

This site has good local information:

www.sdfish.com Check the bulletin boards. You will see some recent threads on fishing from Bonita Cove on mission bay on the fly board. There is another post from TX angler looking for info. Lots of stuff on surf fishing in the archives.

The change a tip would be perfect for fishing Mission Bay from shore. The Shooting head is perfect for the surf or fishing either bay from a boat.

By the way, I briefly corresponded, a couple of emails, with someone named Jason from Phoenix a few years ago, then saw that person on a rental boat near Coronado Bridge on S.D. Bay. Was that you?

craig smith

Hi AZ,
    I am no expert regarding saltwater as I am also a newbie to flyfishing the salt. I recently bought a TFO Ticrx 10 wt and a TFO Ticrx 8wt. When I bought the reel for the 10 wt and I asked the fly shop guy who is also a guide in Fla, He said that while the gel spun does give you more backing, in time it will wear a groove in the guides, especially the tip top. He also mentioned the possibility of cut hands. Since I have a good investment in both rods and since I am out of business if anything happens to my hands, I opted for the dacron backing that has stood the test of time. Just my 2cents worth!
    One more thing..on the 10 wt. I bought the Cabela's SR reel with an extra spool since I too will only be an occassional salt fisher and maybe use the reel only twice a year or so. Both of the guides I used in Fla were amazed at how smooth the reel is and it also got excellent reviews in the flyfish America mag's gear guide. I tend to take very good care of all my gear and I do expect it will last me for a very long time. It truly is a nice reel and worth having a look at.

The idea of Gels spun spectra lines groving guides seems to be a left over from the early days of modern braids such as kevlar braids.

I have had spectra backing on some reels for almost 10 years with no guide problems. I know anglers who see more spectra backing through their rod guides in a year fishing tuna, dorado, yellowtail, wahoo, etc. than I see in 10 and I have never heard one complain of grooved guides. I know lots of bass anglers who use spectra lines on the baitcasting tackle and have no issue with guide wear either.

Spectra lines actually more slick and cause less friction than dacron, which is one reason that it is hard to get good knots in them.

Even if it will eventually wear a guide, this is unlikely to happen with gear that only sees a few fish a year.

You will be fine! good luck here in Florida!

kevinC
    Casey Key Anglers and Outfitters
    Venice, Florida
    http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com/

Hi, I have decided to use powr pro on my big game reels, mainly for Marlin, but I have a question, with dacron I didn't have any trouble conecting backing to flyline or backing to ther reel arbor, which knots do you suggest to use with gsp lines? should I use a bed of mono on the arbor? use a drop shot between the flyline and backing?

Thanks

CC

+ Reply to Thread