+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ Cicada fly

Default EZ Cicada fly

Anyone have any ez cicada fly patterns or links for them?

During the last big hatch here in the east,2 years ago,I used a foam fly with good results.Its tied gurgler style with a black tail,orange chenille body,black hackle palmered over the body and black foam tied down over the back like a gurgler.Very easy to tie and worked out good for me.

What size hook and what size foam? Cicada's don't have tails.

Friend sent me a joke about the Cicada'. Showed the years ticking by in one frame then another and another and so on with the years ticking by.. Then the bug hatches just flies off and a car hit's with it's windshield.

You know what the last thing that goes through a bugs mind is when he hit's your cars windshield???

His A$$..

Size #6 or #8 hook seems to work well for those flies. Cut the foam the same width as the hooks gape and you sould do fine with the size. Ron

Hi jkilroy,
    If you check the fly archives, you will find the one I submitted in 2004. It was not a difficult tie and was a combo of bucktail and foam.

What about something like the STP frog? The foam has about the same shape as a cicada. Just polish it up a little for the legs and maybe some hair or other winging material over the back.

Hi,

When the cicada's are around here, I've heard people recommend stimulators, Mole Flies (basically just a brown dry fly hackled palmered up the hook with wings), Wickham's Fancy (not much more than the Mole fly, but with the addition of a gold tinsel body), hoppers, etc. Basically, I think any large palmered dry fly is the way to go.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Jkilroy,I used a Mustad 36890 sz4 hook.Foam was about a 1/2 wide trimmed down a bit.I know cicades dont have tails but it doesnt matter to the fish.

Size 8 or 10 std hook. Spun Deer or Elk Hair from bend to eye well compacted. Trim to shape. Tapered from eye to bend about the Diameter of Ring finger. Trim underside flat close to hook shank. Go Fish.

Looks like Nothing other than a floating Acorn. But For some reason Trout Love it. Sound like a leg Pull?? Your choice. Let the trout decide. Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

I do pretty much the same as SkipS. I tie a gurgler and rather than wrapping hackle I wrap the shank with a varigated crystal chenille. Black and copper seems to work well around here. Use black foam for body, tie in 3 pair of silicone legs, and a burnt orange or pumpkin marabou over copper flash for the tail. Tie them on a TMC300 hook, size 4 or 6.
    I had to do my wash last Saturday morning, and when I walked into the laundrymat there was an annual Cicada quietly dying on the table. It's now sitting on my mouse pad. It's about two inches long, body and wings. The body's triangular in shape. About 1 1/16" long. A mix of olive green, gold and black on top. The eyes stick out on the sides of the head. It has six short legs, one pair facing front, two pair facing back. The belly is white with a black streak down the middle toward the tail. Wings are 1 1/2" long and are on the side rather than the back. They're clear with black and olive veins and extend 3/4" beyond the body(I have a vision of a giant CDC and Elk)..
    I have a piece of black over white foam in the body shape. Have to decide on a hook, and a way to tie in the wings. These guys are around to well after Labor Day so I can piddle with it for a bit.

+ Reply to Thread