+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insect Repellant

Default Insect Repellant

Perhaps this question has been asked before. I searched for this issue in archives but w/ out much success.

Lately, we have been fishing about 4 nights a week. I am using Ultrathon and swimming in the stuff and I am getting bit horrendously still. I bet I have 100+ bites and resemble a poster child for West Nile. I have them on my joint areas and now they are so swollen and stiff and sore.

I need recommendations for insect repellant or alternatives. Is MORE Deet actually effective as I noticed that Ultrathon only has 25% content? We start fishing in high heat so making sure all exposed body parts is covered isn't an option. I am using Repel Permanone on clothing as it is too.
    Teri

The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not protect you.

I have Deet 98% and it actually works. I don't have to put much on, but if need be I can lay on alot. I can't say if more works more better or if there is a saturation point beyond witch you are wasting your deet.

jed

Has any one used GreenHead?
    http://www.stopbitingme.com/main.html[/url]
    US Army 90-92
    577th ENGR BN Training Co.

As hot as it may be, can I suggest long sleeves and long pants? I can't say I do it myself, unless I'm in a swampy area, but then again for some reason I must smell bad to the mosquitos because I don't get bit that much and the 100% deet seems to work for me...unless again I'm in a swampy area...

-Pemi

I worked for the US Forest Service in Alaska and we always wore long sleee shirts and long pants. We also wore metal hard hats. Have you seen the tape attractant (yes attractant) that you can tape to top of ball cap, etc for black flies and gnats? They stick to it. You can find it at Cabala's, mostly used by early season deer and turkey hunters. Have you tried Orvis or similar Buzz off shirt, hat, etc? I have two Orvis long sleve Buzz off's and they appear to work for me. I also like the OFF brand wipes. After wiping down back of hands and face I put the left over wipe under my hat.

There is a company ( I think in Minnesota although it could be somewhere in Canada) that makes "Bug shirts". The long sleeve shirts are made of a tight weave fiber that bugs cannot bite thru. They have a hood with mesh screen over the face They are expensive, about 60 bucks but they work great. I bought one about a year ago to protect me when fishing in buggy areas. They also make pants but I haven't tried them. If you search using google or yahoo for "bug shirt" I'm sure you will find them.

This is my second season using the newer Picaridin (made by Bayer) that is toted as being the future replacement for DEET. Much more pleasant to use and is safe on plastics (i.e., fly lines!) - I've found it to be as effective as the DEET products I've used in the past.

Last year tried (and still have) the Cutter "Advanced", which has for it's base the newer Picaridin. Also, for Father's Day this year, grand kids got me some of the newer (or recently came out) Avon product that contains the Picaridin, too. Just as effective, but you know that "Skin-So-Soft" aroma will get some second glances form some of the more masculine types. (LOL)

Dale

Wow, Ultrathon typically does a great job. You sure must have some tough bugs there! Personally I use the Avon Expedition spray. It contains no deet and is odor free. I have used it in Alaska in the bush, the Everglades and other real buggy places and it worked fantastically.

Avon is now also offer a new spray with Picaridin but I don't use it as I hate the foo-foo smell associated with it. : )

Do you eat a lot of bananas? If you do, don't. Something about the way your body processes banana oil...it really attracts mosquitoes. Instead, take B-1 Vitamins. It has the opposite effect.

We tried that new "Off Family" or something like that w/ the new Picardin. I thought it might be a wonderful change to Deet especially for my nephew who is 1 year old and for the flylines. That was the first night and I threw the bottle in the garbage that night when I got home. We also tried that new Eucalyptis, Lemon stuff. I love the smell and it worked on the nephew. I was still chewed on.

Bananas is an interesting idea...but no...I have an aversion to the mushy things.

I don't know if we have tougher bugs, a worse mosquito hatch than before or if I am just "prone" to mosquito bites because of blood/body chemistry...but it's horrible. I counted 10 bites on my right hand alone and I still can't see the knuckles. It's going to be a Benedryl nite.
    Teri

The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not protect you.

+ Reply to Thread