Well, after hearing about this thread I just couldn?t let it go without checking with the Georgia Wildlife Resources Division to see if there was any possible truth to it?A statement was made saying:

"It's against the law to release carp after you catch them in Ga. and I think TN. THey must be killed and disposed of. This also applies to Gar." "I don't know where it is in the reg book, but if you go to any of the lakes and spillways here, like Carters, Allatoona, Lanier, Ocoee and Blue Ridge, they have large signs up that say you cannot release carp, buffalo or gar back into the water once you've caught them. You must also release Grass Carp, and sturgeon, and must report the catch to a particular phone number or website listed on the sign. You must also report any sighting or catches of snake-heads, walking catfish, zebra mussels or Pacu. Failure to do so can result in up to a $500 fine and loss of fishing licence for 2 years. They have pictures of all of them posted for identification?

I was pretty sure the part about it illegal to release carp, buffalo, or gar back into the water was incorrect, as was the part about their being signs posted at various lakes saying they cannot be released back into the lake?..So, I have contacted the Georgia Department of Wildlife Resources to see if there was any truth at all to what was said?..Well there is not, it is totally inaccurate (which is a nice way of saying what it realty is)?.Mr. John Johnson, a Sergeant with the Law Enforcement Division with the Georgia Department of Wildlife Resources, reported that there is NO law of any kind saying that it is illegal to release carp, buffalo, or gar back in a lake, nor are there any signs posted at lakes stating such?Mr. Johnson also reported that the statement that had been made was totally wrong, it is not something that is subject to interpretation? it is just simply wrong and inaccurate......However Mr. Johnson did state that it would be illegal to do as the fellow suggested if they simply left the fish on the bank or shore, as they could be charged with littering?.