+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carp on a fly?

Default Carp on a fly?

I have two questions:

Does anyone fish for them regularly with flies?

What should folks do with the ones they catch? Given the reputation Carp have for destruction, C&R does not ring true with me.
    Bear742

yup - nothing wrong with chasing them. Grass flies, popcorn flies, cottonseed, snails, smaller minnows. Lots of patterns.
    C&R all the time. Although considered an invasive species ...... we really haven't had much for problems with them here.
    Suckers, carp, forage/rough/garbage fish whatever people think of them - are a fish in the food chain now. If a state / province DNR declares a cull creel of them - then I'd say fine to do so. If not ..... C&R. I'll let the folks in charge figgure those problems out. If they are a problem in the area - call the DNR and ask them about it. No sense going off half cocked if it lands you in the brig.
    Carp are delicate table fare for a number of eastern European countries as turkey is to our Thanksgiving table. I can't swallow that one yet - but then again, I thought the same way on cats.

darrell,

DB4D - I don't imagine the guide on the Trashonthefly website will be wearing a tweed jacket and ascot, complete with Hardy reel and 7-1/2 ft bamboo rod? We have a nice bunch of carp here in Michigan (I think they re in every state?) and I have fished for them with a fly. Actually the first fish I ever caught when only 8 years old was a carp. I made sure my three sons caught a cutthroat trout for their first fish......I guess I am in a class all my own? Have fun with Mr. Big Scales....Jonezee

A lot of waters are much cleaner since Carp have been introduced into them...

I fish for them often...and I have and show the same respect for them as I do ALL fish....C&R all the way for me...My choice...Please...If your not going to consume them...by all means return them to the water... for anothers enjoyment.. Just some thoughts.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Yeah, I go after them all the time. In fact, carp are about all I fish for most of the time. I C&R all the time because I don't have anything better to do with them. But, if you feel you must, the recipes are out there. You can also use them for fertilizer in the garden or flower beds, or leave them in your old high school's bully's mailbox.

since i started fishing for carp i've pretty much quit fishing for trout, steelhead and salmon. i enjoy the sight fishing aspect, the stalking, accurate casting, and of course the power and size of the fish. carp just a great all around fly rod species. i fish mainly nymphs and crayfish patterns; i haven't tried bread flies, popcorn or those types. i don't chum for them, if you can find feeding fish you can get them to take a fly. i don't keep any of the fish I catch, but then i never kept trout/salmon/steelhead except for the rare occasion. just don't really like to eat fish!

go catch a few, they are a blast on a fly rod. here is a link to a video of my hooking a 9lb mirror carp. not a big fish by any means, but even the littler fish will tear you up!

http://media.putfile.com/carp-on-the-fly

Well, i am from The Netherlands and carp is the specie to get here, I don't know how long ago carp has been introduced here, but the specie is going fine and they have a fearsome reputation, very powerfull and an endurance fighter.
    I think on a hot day(rarely here ) they are the best catcable with a fly rod and a dry fly or a very slow sinking one, have fun!

(Sorry for spell and grammar errors, I speak and write another language you know)

Grand vid John,
    Yep, just like any other fish of substance, completely outta control for the first however long! And often, even MORE challenging to get on the hook.
    We have had occassional great success when the carp are an incidental fish. Our success grows to almost non-existent when they are our target fish!
    ....lee s.
    PS.....WE MISS YOU Rick Z !!!!

Blog Entries

Good article "Carp the other Bonefish" in spring 2007 flyfishing & tying journal. Made me look at carp in a new light.

Its also a FAOL Sponser

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread