+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of landing net keeper do you use?

Default What type of landing net keeper do you use?

Until recently, I have always used my hands to land a fish. I started to use a landing net last season. My vest has a large pocket in the back to accomodate the net, but can be a bit difficult to reach and grab the net at times. I want to try one of those keeper devices so I can quickly swing the net into reach.

Which type of landing net keeper do you use and why?

[This message has been edited by TyroneFly (edited 27 April 2005).]

[This message has been edited by TyroneFly (edited 27 April 2005).]
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have a strong magnetic keeper. It takes a reasonable pull to detach it, but I only have to get the net near it for it to jump back into place. Don't put it on anything elastic or you'll say darn it. One improvement may be a tether on the other end of the net in case I'm so excited by my catch that I walk away from my net. I've done that. There's only so much range on that magnet.

There is a fairly long bungie cord attached to my landing net. The other end attaches to a clip. I use a $3.50 METAL car key/house key detachable set of key rings. One end is on my 'D' ring (with the bungie clip) and the other end is on the net. The only factor to set up correctly is to attach the ?plunger? part of the set on your vest, not the net. With one hand I can release the net from behind my neck and then pick up the net from the water. To reconnect the 'key' parts does take two hands, but I can put my rod on my vest/chest or under my arm at that time, I might even be on shore by then. The reason I use this device is that it works fine and is CHEAP.

I use the magnetic clip, and cord, and find it works great and attaches back easily and is always right there when I need it - but at the end of the cord I also have a quick release, so that I can hand my net to a client after netting a fish so he can keep the fish in the water while the camera is prepared. Works pretty good!

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:f318c]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:f318c]

I'm still using the key retriever type of net keeper. Works fine for me.

I'm pretty new at fly fishing, but I've been using the magnetic attatchment method. It's easy to take off the net with one hand and then it replace just as quickly (well, almost). In addition, I have an elastic cord attached so that when I drop my net, it doesn't end up 10 miles down river.

[This message has been edited by Hudson (edited 27 April 2005).]

I'm with you Hudson. That works for me. Only thing is, that little sucker was 25 bucks! Thats an expensive magnet! But then again so is everything else.

I too use the magnetic keeper. Worth the $25 bucks compared to the zinger type. While walking in the woods the net caught a branch, when it released it hit me in the back on the head, that's when I went to Orvis and got the magnetic.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited 27 April 2005).]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

$25.00!?!? I thought I was getting taken for a ride at $20.00 (but it IS the best thing I've used so far).

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

I use the magnetic type. It has a long bungee on it, which has not been a problem for me and has kept me from losing it.

I did switch over last year to how I attached the net to the bungee end of the magnet. Instead of hitching it to the net handle, I switched to hitching it to the front bow of the net. It is easier to deploy and return that way and having the net between your shoulder blades seems to reduce snags on streamside brush.

I use two of the plastic one-way strap things that electricians use for wires to attach the bungee to the net bow. Got mine at Home Depot really cheap, but suspect you can find them at most hardware stores.

+ Reply to Thread