I got out Saturday afternoon and used a white foam spider, the gills were crazy for it.

Size 8 nymph hook
black thread
white closed-cell foam (teardrop or triangle shape just shorter than hook shank)
over-sized grizzly hackle

Tie in your thread, cover the hook shank stopping in the middle and coat wraps with glue. Place white foam onto the shank with pointed end forward, tie in at the center of the foam. Tie in the hackle on top, wrap 3-5 close turns in the center and clip off excess hackle. Bring the thread forward under the foam body and tie down the point of the foam. Wrap a tapered head of thread , finish and coat the head liberally with glue or epoxy.

This isn't very different from other foam spiders, I just didn't tie rubber legs on it.

I was able to fish from the kayak and was bouncing the spider off the tree stumps in a cove. Big gills could get the spider in their mouth but the smaller ones couldn't. Several times it would get hit hard enough to knock the fly off the water. When it landed again another fish would grab at it. I didn't actually catch many fish, but I sure had my share of laughs.