Hi all! Been lurking for a while, decided I might as well become a useful part of this board. I am located at Ellsworth AFB, right outside of Rapid City, SD. Should be here in the black hills for at least a few years I hope.

So, my story starts. Raised in the south, the first fly-fisherman I ever saw was up here a few months ago. Did I get the itch (does a bear... well, nevermind)... of course I did. So I did what any rational outdoorsman would do. I made up as many reasons possible to not look into fly fishing. I talked myself out of it, often... in the end, I lost.

What I did do, was go and buy the cheapest setup I could find (not knowing how I would like it). So, at the local BX, I bought a Crystal River 8' 5/6 wt combo. $26. Like a kid at Christmas, let me tell you.

Ok... 2 months later. There are ponds on base here. Panfish, Bass (8-12 inches), Rainbows (9-14 inches). I have fished almost every night at one pond.

Lessons learned:
1. Floatant makes your flies float. You should of seen the look I got when I asked another fisherguy if there was something that made flies float better.
2. These fish will hit any fly on the water. The trout are selective though.
3. This is an awesome sport. Haven't touched another rod since I bought the fly rod.
4. Tying flies is tough! Done 4, man they look rough. Caught fish though!

So, that's a little about me, I do have some questions, I'll post below when my fingers uncramp!

Mike