+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunfish and Panfish Flies

Default Sunfish and Panfish Flies

Hello,

I just got my fly fishing gear about a week ago from Cabela's and have been practicing casting in my yard. One of the fly fishing experts at Cabela's said I should start out by trying to catch sunfish and panfish. I forgot to ask him what flies I should use... Im a total newbie when it comes to flies so any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot

Andrew

Andrew,

Go to the Panfish section of this board. There is an archive of Rick Z's articles that will give you a vast amount of information to get started. Good luck, and have fun!

Wrangler

Hey Wrangler,

Thanks for the response. I can't seem to find the "Panfish" section... Im kinda new to this site. lol Is it on the main page or is it on the forums? Ive tried searching but have had no luck. Sorry

Andrew

AndrewB, Go to the home page and look at the bottom of the page in the fine print. There are listings of the different sections of the site in very small print.

Default Panfish and Warm Water Sections

From the FAOL Home page, go to FEATURES in the left menu and scroll down the FEATURES menu to find Panfish and Warm Water sections. Or like rodgerole said .

Direct links to the archives below:

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/archive.html:2621a]Archive of Panfish[/url:2621a]

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/warmwater/archive.html:2621a]Archive of Warm Water[/url:2621a]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Andrew, if you are buying your flies you may find some of Rick's patterns hard to find. Try getting some hares ear nymphs, small wooly buggers(size 12) and a few colors of rubber leg foam spiders. Try soft hackles too. Read the panfish articles for ideas on how and where to fish them.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Andrew, try this one. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/
    it should take you to the main web site. If you have a Wally-world see if they have any flies or poppers, floating kind of things. Doesn't matter a lot, they all work.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Andrew,

If you are lucky enough to have a local fly shop nearby or at least not tooooooo far away, now would be a great time to stop in and introduce yourself. They will be more than happy to help you select a dozen or so flies that are local favorites. Many shops also offer advice about local fishing holes and hot spots. Really good shops may give you a quick lesson in casting which greatly shortens the learning curve and improves performance and distance. You may also find some fishing buddies who would be willing to take you out a time or two.

Welcome to a great sport and the best fly fishing site on the internet. 8T

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Andrew,

One quick thought on my last post! Don't take you Cabela's rod in with you to the fly shop. You will get a much warmer greeting without it. 8T

I makes it all worth while sometimes when we get a new guy asking all kinds of questions, sincere as all get out, and we have several 'old-timers' give them info. Sharing all they have; that may be nice for the new guy but, it allows the folks sharing to have a pay-off too from doing it.
    All the time you hear about the "elitist dry-fly &%#$@$#'s" of fly fishing. Could be, but I guess we ain't good enough for them. They never come here. We just get the 'good guys.'

+ Reply to Thread