In by email:

The Bighorn River is running at 1500cfs which is bare bones minimum. Amazingly the fishing has been good to excellent. The water temperature in the upper river is averaging in the low 50s and in the lower river in the upper 50s to around 60.

The black caddis hatch is going on and it makes for great evening fishing--I find a black size 18 CDC caddis with a black caddis emerger (also 1 as a trailer is a deadly combination.

During the day the nymphs are working--standard sowbugs (14--18s) and scuds work well along with some small silver flashback pheasantails or gold-ribbed hare's ears are pretty good flies. Tan caddis are starting to show as are a few tricos on the lower river.

I do believe that the river will be extremely crowded in August due to the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks shutting down many of the rivers: Smith, Madison, Gallatin, Big Hole, Beaverhead, lower Yellowstone, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if parts of the Missouri will be closed. If anglers are planning on the fishing the Bighorn this year I would recommend coming after mid-September when the other river cool down and the guides, outfitters and anglers go back to those streams.

I hope all is well with you and yours and that you are having fun.

Take care and stay well.
Warm regards,
Bob Krumm