+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seal dry latex waders

Default Seal dry latex waders

Does anyone know if they still make them and where I can get a pair. I have decided that the cost per outing of breathables that leak after a dozen or so uses is too high and I hate neoprene.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Does anyone know if they still make them and where I can get a pair. I have decided that the cost per outing of breathables that leak after a dozen or so uses is too high and I hate neoprene.
    I know, neoprene is too hot. Don't know if I would want to wear latex waders either. Rubber makes you sweat, period. I don't understand your comment that breathables leak after a dozen outings?? Not to harp on a brand, but, I wear a pair of Simms lights that I have owned for six years. Have never been uncomfortable in hot or cold weather (unlike latex). Did I mention that I have owned these entry level Simms for six years? I fish 40 to 50 days a year (do the math), I am carefull, though.
    Did I mention these were Simms?

Did I mention that if all your waders leak after 12 wearings,,, it might not be the waders? Oh, we both have neoprene waders too, not hot at all, just fine for standing in the pacific ocean while casting for salmon. Oh this too, our breathables are six years old. No leaks yet. (I'll bring them)
    ... See ya in Michigan

Up untill a couple of seasons ago I had a pair of seal- drys
    I believe the were purchased in the early '80s
    They were the most comfortable, longest lasting wader I ever had.
    I don't believe they are still on the market. If they were I would buy a pair also.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Actually I don't have a problem with neoprene waders fishing Michigan Rivers. Most are very cold and I never seem to get too warm year round. I am a novice and have never had anything but. I just wear shorts and a tank top underneath and no vest...usually everything I need just attaches to my waders. See you at the Fish In. Will be at Jacks site Wed evening and am really excited to meet everyone! God Bless.

Neoprene waders give me big sores on my calves. I just don't have a standard shaped body. I suspect that that is part of the problem with the breathables too as all four pairs I have tried developed undectable leaks in the crotch area after a few uses. I have heard that they will leak at the seams if they are stretched too much and I often climb over obstacles while wearing them.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I knew a guy who owned a neoprene wader company. It seems that wearing noe's in a float-tube is really hard on the seams. A lot of constant pulling and stretching. Makes sense to me.

8. Default

Years ago we used to cut the feet off of the Seal Drys about 12" up the calf. Then, using rubber cement we would roll the Seal Drys down over a pair of insulated rubber knee boots. We usually had about 6" of overlap. The never leaked and kept us very warm. As stated by others they were very comfortable. We only used them in the winter. I used them, Harry Lemire used them, Joe Butorac and others as well. If we need felt soles we had a shoemaker in Fremont grind off the lug soles and glue on felt.
    I don't think I'd go through all of this again but they were darned good and kept us warm from the Skagit to the Thompson to the Babine in any and all conditions.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

+ Reply to Thread