+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fly fishing competitions"--a narrow test

Default "Fly fishing competitions"--a narrow test

First, let me say that I really can't bring myself to give dang whether the USA team does well in that World Fly Fishing Championship or whether Team Hyde or Team Clackacraft wins the Masters. I'm not even sure making fly fishing competitive is good for the sport.

Nonetheless, I have observed this about fly fishing competitions in general: They don't seem to truly be general fly fishing competitions, but rather trout fly fishing competitions or casting competitions.

A competition that truly tests the competitors' abilities at fly fishing in general would have to include warmwater and saltwater components as well as trout and salmon.

I bet the Europeans wouldn't have quite such a lock on the gold if the World Championship were truly a fly fishing world championship rather than the world championship of European-style trout fishing.

Most fishing competitions tend to be species-specific: BASS is for bass, PWT is walleye. Plus you have the crappie tour, the redfish tour, and mackerel and billfish tourneys. All these competitions can be held at a certain location over a period of days.

What you're suggesting would be interesting, but it would involve the competitors travelling from a good warmwater venue to a good trout venue and to a good SW venue. Certain places (like Florida) have two of the bases covered, but I can't think of any that have all three. If you know of any, I want to move there!

Don't know about the Florida trout venues. I do know that Maryland has all three, and by God, we love it. Stripers and blues on the bay, largemouth and carp on the Potomac and some world class trout destinations in the West and North (Savage and Gunpowder). Heck, from where I live south of Baltimore, I can reach any of these in an hour (barring traffic and not the Savage).
    By the way, I believe the "Masters" competition included a saltwater part last year.
    Frank Reid

Oops. Reread your post. Yes, Florida does have two of the three.

[This message has been edited by Flytyer37 (edited 03 February 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Flytyer37 (edited 03 February 2005).]

Obtuse,

I've stated before that I don't like fly fishing competitions, especially trout. Having said that, consider this.
    You write:
    "I bet the Europeans wouldn't have quite such a lock on the gold if the World Championship were truly a fly fishing world championship rather than the world championship of European-style trout fishing."
    I may be mistaken, but wasn't one of the trout fly fishing championships, won by the Europeans, held here in the US?

Allan

5. Default

Obtuse,
    Sounds like you need to travel further than the BB... over here in the UK, we are pretty good at the salmon, trout(both wild and stocked), and saltwater flyfishing... probably why our teams always seem to be in the hardware!
    We don't do warm-water fishing, cos its too cold :0)
    I don't think i can remember the last time i heard of such sour grapes... your teams might do a little better if the had the support of the public, i.e. people like yourself.
    What's up? Couldn't you make the team? Or are you just frustrated that you have no say in making the rules??
    Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

Flytyer,

I didn't realize Maryland had trout fishing. Maybe I need to plan a trip!

tyeflies,

You're right. The Europeans did beat the American team a few years ago. I forget the venue, but it was someplace out west.

AScott, I'm quite certain I would be unable to make the team. I will freely admit that I am not and never will be a proficient angler. I'm just good enough to have fun.

I didn't post Euros don't fish saltwater, I posted that it isn't part of the competition and it should be. I haven't, however, seen evidence that Euros fish the salt as much or as avidly as U.S. anglers do.

Reuel, I'm quite certain you're retorting, but I'm not at all certain at whom your retort is directed.

BTW--ever noticed that while we can REtort, we never simply tort?

[This message has been edited by Obtuse_Angler (edited 03 February 2005).]

I have to wonder if the difference between success of the Europeans and the Americans in flyfishing is cultural. I mean, there isn't much doubt that the Euros kick our butts at flyfishing in international competition. Is it because they are better flyfishermen/women? Is it because Americans just don't care about competing? Is it because the Europeans can't stand to lose so they try harder? I don't know the answer but the question is interesting.

Personally, I don't like fishing competitions for myself. I find it more enjoyable to qualify a day's fishing with "it was good" or
    "it wasn't as good as yesteray" or "it was better than yesterday" than "hooked 17, landed 13, total catch 18 lbs 2.73 ounces". My head gets too clouded with junk I don't need in it when I'm trying to catch more fish than the other guy. I can see why it would be fun for others but for me it's not important how many fish I catch only that I get to enjoy the adventure.

ktokj

Competitions are one way to promote a river. Since I don't like the "competition" part either, we like to do Fish-in's.

Activities are geared towards newcomers and novices. We'll usually have free guides, canoes etc. BBQ. Some of the local forest companies usually contribute for burgers and stuff.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread