January SOTM - Insect Imitation Swap
Hello to everyone I don't know! My name is Karli-Rae. I joined FAOL in the summer of 2010 and was very active in swaps and such things until I got married, moved to a house, and got busy with life stuff :wink: I am sure you know how it goes....
I am very excited to be back tying and swapping with you all and am honored to host the January 2013 Swap of the Month. :tieone: The name of this swap will be the Insect Imitation Swap. You can make a fly with whatever size hooks you have and whatever materials, but the goal will be to make a fly that looks as realistic as you can possibly make it. (I know many many flies are fashioned to represent bug to the fishes but I am talking about looking like bugs to the fisherman!)
You can use any materials that you want, they don't have to be fishable, necessarily. We are going for realism here, but if they are fishable, that's a bonus. :-D
Do these flies have to be "fishable," in other words, materials that can be used in fishing flies, or can materials be used that would normally not be used for fishing such as flora?
Here's an example.... I tried to make a dobsonfly.
Here's the real bug:
1. Don't get hung up the realistic part. The whole point is to think creatively and have some fun. Especially to the new tyers. No one is critical here so have some fun, be daring, and you might surprise yourself! ;-)
2. Please send a list of materials with your flies in the mail or post the list in this thread. (You don't have to tell us what materials you will use in advance - I know my materials will be chosen by trial and error.)
3. Please don't post a picture of your fly ahead of time. I will take a picture of each fly when they arrive and post them all together. I like the surprise of not known exactly what they will look like until they get here. I also don't want anyone to get discouraged if they think they have to submit a picture for approval ahead of time.
4. As people sign up with their chosen bug I will PM them my address. Please try to get the flies to me by January 25th. They way I can hopefully get them to everyone before the end of the month.
Please sign in with what bug you would like to try and imitate and we will get this swap rolling!
1. Albasurf - Brown Marmorated Stink Bug OR Earwig
2. Captain_Mortis - Firefly - RECEIVED
3. billhouk - Hannie's Grub - RECEIVED
4. Bob9 - Water Beetle - RECEIVED
5. gmac209 - Black Ant - RECEIVED
6. Gigmaster - Catalpa worm - RECEIVED
7. sjo - Rockworm - taking a break this round
8. Christopher (my husband) - Lacewing - RECEIVED
9. Rick Z - Bee - RECEIVED
10. Icemanxxxv - Dragonfly Nymph - RECEIVED
11. branhap - golden stonefly
12. roadhog - Olive Adult Damsel - RECEIVED