2013 beginners only fly swaps applications are now open
DECEMBER 20TH UPDATE:
Have added two new members to these 5 fly swaps, since I do not hold a December Fly Swap you can still get in on the November Soft Hackle Fly Swap, by sending in you Soft Hackle Flies (12) along with your Nymph Flies for the January Nymph Swap
There is only one position still open for membership! The next four fly swaps starts on January 1st 2013. You can still apply for the remaining fly swaps during the month of December, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org Subject Beginner's Only Fly Swaps. Once you join I will mail out the package for these swaps, and during December you can dress the November Soft Hackle and mail it in with the January Nymph Swap Fly Patterns, or you can start with the January Nymph Swap, your choice. These swaps are for those new to fly tying, and to those who have never joined in a FAOL Fly Swap. ~Parnelli
November ~ Soft Hackle Wet Fly
January ~ Nymph Fly
February ~ Dry Fly
March ~ Streamer Fly
April ~ Terrestrial Fly
All flies need to arrive before the last day of the monthly fly swaps.
As Swapmeister I supply the following to members of these 5 fly swaps....
At the end of each monthly swap I email a listing of all fly patterns submitted to each member of the swap in pdf format (requires abode reader).
- Pre-addressed envelopes for mailing the fly patterns in, and for mailing the fly patterns back.
- Cardboard box for securing fly patterns for the fly swap patterns
- FAOL Fly Pattern CD.
- Toe-Tags for placement on the bend of each fly submitted for the swaps.
There are only 10 positions open for these five fly swaps. Each member of the swap will submit 12 flies of the pattern they have chosen. The two extras are for replacements of lost packages that go missing in the U.S. Mail (I was the finder of lost mail when employed at the US Mail Recovery Center).
Each of the two mailing envelopes require $1.95 postage, meter strips are allowed for mailing in for each swap, but self-adhesive postage is required for the return shipment (or you can sent $2.00 along with your flies as I have everything check at the Post Office.
I am also a mentor if anyone has a question or difficulties.. If a members has a event that prevent them from mailing in on time I should be notified as soon as possible.
I need the following information for these Swaps
Evening Telephone Number
Steven H. McGarthwaite
3505 Bellaire Avenue
White Bear Lake MN 55110
Join Now, Before It Becomes To Late
Those still thinking about joining this years Beginner's Only Fly Swaps... things to think about
1. I have been a member of FAOL since October of 1997 (FAOL started on September 1st of 1997)
2. I have been hosting these swaps for over 10 years... I was the the FAOL writer of Tying Tips for many years.
3. Al Campbell was my mentor on fly tying... rod building... and almost everything else I have learned about fly fishing.
4 First 3 years of the "Beginner's Only Fly Swaps" there were 4 groups of Beginner's Only, doing 6 monthly fly swaps, with 12 - to -14 members in each group.
5. I supply each member with a card-stock printout of Sylvester Nemes Soft Hackle Size Guide from "The Soft Hackled Fly Addict" book (page 98). A card-stock printout of toe tags for placement on the curve of the finished fly. A card-stock printout of Walt Dette's and Du Bois's Hackle Gauges. 5 pre-addressed 6 inch by 9 inch envelopes for mailing in each months flies, 5 pre-addressed 6 inch by 9 inch envelopes for the return mailing to the member of the swap
Also supply a Russell Stover Candy Box for storage of the flies while in shipment (complete mailing address of the member secured to the top of the fly shippment box.
One week gone, three remaining. When October 31st comes no more members will be place until January 1st, when the members will be dressing a Nymph fly pattern....
All this swap will cost you is the mailing $1.95 postage for each envelope, best to buy self-adhesive stamps. At the end of each monthly swap each member will be sent (pdf) a full page photo layout (10 pages of each fly pattern and material listings.