STUFFED PEPPERS “ITALIAN STYLE”
- 5/6 medium size green peppers (eviscerated, tops saved)
- 1# Ground chuck
- 1# Italian (HOT is best but, if you're a wimp???) sausage
- 1 sleeve "RITZ" crackers - smashed
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic - NOT FRESH- too strong for this recipe
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- 1 can (46oz) tomato juice
- 1 cup sour cream (ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY)
Mix the beef, sausage, RITZ crackers, spices, about 1/2 cup of the tomato juice and stuff the cavities of the peppers. Replace the pepper tops.
Place peppers into a deep pot and cover to about 1/2 (of the pepper) with the tomato juice.
Cover and cook at about 325 deg, for about 60 to 80 minutes.
At about the 45 minute mark, mix the sour cream with any remaining tomato juice and add to the mixture in the cooking pot.
Cover and continue cooking (basting occasionally) for remaining time.
We serve this dish with mashed potatoes liberally sauced with the tomato/cream mixture.
The sour cream takes away the acidity of the dish and adds a very interesting/delicious taste sensation.
In (only) my opinion, THIS is a very tasty variation on an old standard. Try it, you'll like it!